I was worried that I was in a rut with designs but looking at it, I haven’t released a coaster design since October so I guess I ‘m doing ok. 🙂 So who’s ready for St. Paddy’s Day? I thought I’d start a couple fun designs before the month ends. And, as always, they’re tapestry designs! I can’t help it, I love the flexibility and creativity that the technique offers and I hope you do too!
You can purchase an ad-free pdf of this pattern in my Ravelry shop.
- US G (4.00) mm crochet hook
- Worsted weight/ size #4/ medium weight yarn
- .5 Oz/ 25 yards
- I used Sugar and Cream cotton yarn for this (3 colors)
- Yarn needle
- 4.5” x 4.5” = 19 dcs x 9 rows
- RS: right side (side that faces out)
- Ch: chain
- St: stitch
- Slip st: slip stitch
- Sc: single crochet
- This pattern is worked back and forth in rows, with a turn at the end/ beginning.
- The ch 1 at the beginning of the row does not count as a stitch.
- This pattern is worked from the bottom up.
- All of the stitches in this pattern are single crochets, because of this the sides portion (where all the color changes are) only tells you how many stitches to do in what color, this is what the number in the parentheses means.
- Rather than changing, cutting, and weaving in the ends of all the colors, the yarn is carried through the coaster in the photos. Here’s a great tutorial on color changes. In this pattern, the active yarn is worked over the inactive.
- Also check out this post about tapestry crochet from Moogly, it’s helpful.
- You can replace the chain row with a foundation single crochet row.
- Color A: is speckled off white, Color B: is brown, and Color C: is yellow, in the photos shown here.
- Height: 4″
- Width: 4.5″
(RS)Row 1: A: Ch 17, sc into the second ch from the hook and into the next 15 chs – 16 scs
Row 2: A: Ch 1, turn, (4), B: (8), A: (4) – 16 scs
Row 3: A: Ch 1, turn, (3), B: (10), A: (3) – 16 scs
Rows 4 – 10: A: Ch 1, turn, (2), B: (12), A: (2) – 16 scs
Row 11 – 12: A: Ch 1, turn, (1), B: (14), A: (1) – 16 scs
Fasten off color B.
Row 13: A: Ch 1, turn, (2), C: (12), A: (2) – 16 scs
Row 14: A: Ch 1, turn, (2), C: (7), A: (1), C: (4), A: (2) – 16 scs
Row 15: A: Ch 1, turn, (3), C: (2), A: (3), C: (2), A: (1), C: (2), A: (3) – 16 scs
Fasten off color C.
Row 16: A: Ch 1, turn, (16) – 16 scs
Fasten off color A, weave in all your ends.
With any color (green in the photos), ch 1, turn, from where you ended row 16, sc across (16), ch 1 at the corner, rotate the piece to the right, sc down the row ends (16), ch 1 at the corner, rotate the piece to the right, sc across the other side of the original ch row, ch 1 at the corner, rotate the piece to the right, sc down the row ends, ch 1 at the corner, slip st into the first st – 64 scs, 4 ch-1 spaces
Fasten off, weave in all your ends.
Tada! There it is. I know this is another easy design but it’s fun and another quick way to make something seasonably festive and practice your tapestry skills!